Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy Post-Procedure Instructions
Depending upon where your PRP was injected, your recovery will be tailored to provide for optimal healing.
Joint Injections (hip, knee, shoulder, ankle)
- Rest for the first 24-48 hours, but do not lie sedentary. We encourage light movement and range of motion after your injections. Use crutches or a walker for a lower extremity joint, and a sling if necessary for shoulders.
- You should gradually increase activities using discomfort as a guideline. Ice can be applied off and on at half-hour intervals. Heat may be used for muscle spasms (deep ache or burning). If it hurts, DON’T do it! A compressive wrap or neoprene sleeve is useful for a week or so.
- Water walking or use of a noodle or float is a great option after complete wound healing from injection sites. Light walking on a treadmill and stretching with heat can be done as “motion is lotion!”
- For weeks 1-3, cardio is allowed (gazelle, stationary bike).
- After 4 weeks, weightlifting and running are permissible.
Ligament Injections (knee, elbow, Achilles) or tendon (rotator cuff, hip glutes, quads)
- Bracing or compression wraps around area of injured tissue. Alternating ice and heat, increase weight bearing as tolerated on leg with crutches or walker for the first 2 weeks. Gradually increase weight over weeks 3 – 4. Do not use anti-inflammatory meds (Motrin, Aleve, Voltaren, Turmeric, Curcumin) for 1 week before injection or for 1 month after. The body’s natural inflammation response is vital to healing the area of injury. It is okay to take Acetaminophen (Tylenol), but do not exceed 4000 mg/day. Those on low dose aspirin may continue that after an injection. Pain pills are allowed (but rarely needed), as are muscle relaxants.
- Do not go to physical therapy for 2 weeks, as excessive activity is best avoided. Light stretching can be done at home. Use caution with activity no matter how good you feel.
- You may see a return to your old pain level shortly after the injection, but this will improve is weeks 2 – 6 and peak at week 12 with PRP injections. If no response is seen after 3 months, consider a second booster PRP injection to the area.